Although half of the population is female that figure doesn’t translate into the number of women in positions of power globally. It’s becoming more and more apparent that we need a greater number of women in leadership roles. Gender diversity isn’t only a push for equality either – women’s qualities and talents are key to any country’s success, meaning there are plenty of reasons to have more women in charge.
Here are our 5 Reasons why we need more women leaders
- To create a more compassionate society –Unfortunately due to unfair and damaging gender stereotypes, men have not been allowed to be compassionate in the same way that women have. Given that women ‘have permission’ to be compassionate and emotionally sensitive, we need to lead the way with our well honed skills to create a more compassionate society.
- To tackle climate destruction –Climate change, or more accurately climate destruction, is an ever-growing catastrophe that is still strangely controversial amongst our world leaders. Our mainly male-led governments continue to turn a blind eye to the urgency of the issue but as women we will not let that stand. We believe that women in general have a greater connection with Mother Earth focusing on the greater picture and less on greed and overindulgence and we do not accept climate destruction. In the absence of governmental leadership, many women are becoming leaders in business and civil society and are stepping up to the plate to provide practical solutions to climate change which fit into the everyday lives of people around the world.
- To represent women – it’s incredible to think just how under-represented women are in senior roles in society, whether it be in the political or the business sphere. Women need authentic female voices in the public sphere to relate to and to stand up for them. Women’s voices need to be heard when it comes to very real issues such childcare, education and other subjects not traditionally talked about by men in politics and business.
- To keep the peace –a common saying is that ‘if women ruled the world, we’d have world peace’… and we believe that there is a lot of truth in this statement. Our world desperately needs to find peace and stop constant, expensive and deadly wars. Our CEO Natasha Stromberg, knows from experience of working with the armed forces that many women who serve, are being deployed to focus on peace keeping and on using their skills to help populations living in war zones.
- To transform our economy –as women, we have a unique relationship with creation and understand that the earth’s resources are not finite. Our current economic model is highly destructive, so it’s critical that we move to a more sustainable capitalistic model as soon as possible. We believe that female led businesses are and will continue to be at the forefront of the drive for responsible capitalism, rather than continuing with the short-sighted, smash and grab lifestyle we’re currently living.
To read more about Natasha Stromberg’s view on why we need more female leaders click here