Feminism; noun. The Oxford dictionary states that the definition of this word is’the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.’ Simply put, feminism is about equality across the board, as it should be.
Today we are talking about why Feminism could be the saviour of the 21st Century
- Bringing Peace to the world– equal representation of women and men in governmental and public policy positions has the huge potential to bring peace both locally and globally. It’s heartening to see this already in countries such as Rwanda and Ethiopia where the Ethiopian prime minister recently appointed a female president and a gender equal cabinet. He stated his reason for doing so as, “an effort to bring peace to the country and to dispel the myth that women can’t be leaders.”
- Elimination of Poverty – it’s incredible to think that 2/3 of the poorest people in the world are women. Feminism, through equal opportunity of access to education and paid work, could unlock millions of women and girls from poverty by improving their educational and professional outcomes.
- Tackling climate change– by putting women (and men who think like them) in the driving seat for combating climate change and climate destruction, we believe that there will be a definite and more immediate change in attitude. Feminism could have a huge impact on reversing climate destruction as women participate more equally in practical solutions in their communities to tackle it. Currently our mainly male leaders are not addressing the situation which is a danger to all humanity.
- Creating equal families– Feminism can help women sustain families through access to equal opportunities at work and childcare for both parents, thus taking away the fear and pressure of a man losing his job in heavy industries such as coal mining and steel manufacturing. Equality in a family, where both partners are working, puts far less pressure on a man to be the sole breadwinner as was previously the case in Patriarchal structures. Financial feminism also gives women more power to make economic decisions within the family.
- Innovation–Due to the lack of educational and professional opportunities many women still face globally, many creative individuals aren’t sharing their ideas. Imagine being able to fully tap into the unique innovative minds of the 100% of humanity? Who knows what women could invent if they were given the kind of investment that men currently are? The benefit to humanity could be enormous.
If you’re interested in finding out more about Feminism, why not take a look at our videos series on our You Tube channel