London and other megacities have to think outside the box of conventional urban solutions to solve worsening traffic congestion and pollution problems and to revolutionise the energy industry in favour of clean technologies. The river Thames offers vast, untapped potential to ease and improve London’s infrastructure problems. What is needed is some imagination and vision to unleash it.
London’s critical needs:
• Cyclist deaths and safety – too many cyclists are killed and seriously injured in collisions with Heavy Goods Vehicles and other road traffic https://visionzerolondon.wordpress.com/latest-pedestrians-and-cyclists-deaths-in-london/
• Air Quality issues caused by heavy traffic congestion seriously affects Londoners health and wellbeing causing additional pressure on an over-stretched public healthcare system;
• Road rage, noise pollution, stress and unhappiness are increasingly evident;
• Growing urban population with insufficient transport capacity requires innovative and bold solutions;
• Revitalization of the river’s underused infrastructure for clean energy generation and as a major transportation artery;
• Behavioral change to safeguard the planet through systemic environmental awareness, augmented by visionary design;
• Industry, government and society have not been“joining the dots” to cooperate with the urgency necessary for the UK to become a carbon-free economy by 2050;
• Flood risk caused by climate change and extreme weather are not being addressed.
Our solution :
The mission of the Thames Deckway is to provide a state-of the art, traffic-free bicycle and pedestrian pathway through the heart of London along the River.
We are proposing a solution that will bypass congested and hazardous city streets by using an innovative water-borne structure that floats on the Thames close to the river banks.
It will both take advantage of and enhance the tidal Thames transportation potential while providing more recreational and ecological value and better public access to the river.
It will become a sustainable zero carbon civil engineering showcase for several advanced technologies including space communications, renewable energy and advanced materials.
Our offering aims to re-invigorate the eco-system of the Thames and other Rivers :
A segregated cycle path will radically transform cycling safety in London preventing collisions with Heavy Goods Vehicles and incentivising cyclists to take up cycling to work and enjoying cycling as a safe leisure and family activity.
This sustainable transport SME is proposing a bold infrastructure civil engineering solution with potential global applications. There are numerous towns and cities throughout the UK on rivers or coastlines that could benefit from our innovative approach to solving some of the biggest urban challenges.
Portrait photograph by Amelia Troubridge for her publication “Joan of Arc had Style”.